Speaking of, European pastries will be the death of me-or at least the death of my size 6 =)
Not much to report today. We did our daily "pick up the apples" chore, that I made up. Ollie wheels over his mini wheelbarrow and Kennedy and I pick up the apples and put them in his wheelbarrow, then he has fun chucking them up and over into the compost pile. I thought of this when I saw that the lawn-man had to spend quite some time picking them up before mowing, so I thought it would be helpful and fun for the kids.
Kids did well playing independently today.
We stopped by Marcel and Eva's tonight. Marcel and the kids were home-recently returned from yet another business trip to Prague. It's great to visit them because the kids have a great time with their little peers. We asked Marcel about the "prayer monument-looking" thing in their yard. I posted a picture of it before. He said it's part of a trail leading to the large church (and lookout tower) that I visited with the kids. I think a ?what's that called? oh, pilgrimage still takes place today at a certain time of the year, in fact I think I read somewhere it's in September. Catholics visit these little monuments on the way to pray (and probably catch their breath, because it's quite a climb!-remember? what?... 239 stairs?) Anyway, when Marcel and Eva purchased the land whoever owned the land said they could buy it and build on it if they promised to restore the monument and not tear it down, so they did. It's kind of unusual, but I said I think it's unique and adds character.
Other odd things I've found out about Czechs; (now this may just be certain people or just the older generations? I'm not sure)
1) they believe hugging a tree with white bark gives you positive, healthy energy
2) they hang little dolls of witches somewhere in their house and that's supposed to bring you good luck
yep, I'll let you know when I find out more =)
Well, we have an earlier start tomorrow as Jill and I head out to Ostrava for a baby shopping spree. Should be fun.
Ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment