Friday, August 21, 2009

Free at last, free at last-Thank God Almighty






...or should I say "relief at last" (read the last post =)..ok, no more bathroom talk on to today's adventures;

This morning after dropping off the kids at preschool we went to tour the castle and chateau at Kradec Nad Moravici where Radek and Jill were married. (How romantic for her to revisit it with me-ha!) We got two tickets for 180 Kc (crowns-which is 90 each which is about...drop the zero (9) and cut in half $4.50?? That seems cheap, but that's how we approximate costs). We looked around on our own for awhile and took some pictures then we took an hour-long tour where we were given Anglicky (English) translated transcripts of the docent's speech. My main question was "who lived in such a place"? From what I could tell lords, princes, dukes, -those types did. Also! Beethoven graced the premises with his presence....I think as a hotel guest? (I don't think "family or church musician" like I suspected.) Funny sidenote- when I took a picture of his bust/statue my digital camera said "detected eyes closed"-ha. By the time we got home it was lunch and to bed with the little heads.

This afternoon we brought out the big guns; new toys. We found a play-dough tool set at the Opava mall and the kids and I invented play-dough contraptions for quite awhile. We also set out the little wading pool and after it cooled off a bit we played cards on a blanket in the lawn.
Other sidenote- Jill and I have the hardest time thinking of what to get for meals. We are very uninspired. (meaningless sidenote)

Tomorrow we head for Radek's dad and sister's town to hang out on their ranch. Should be fun and lots for the kids to do. Andrea, his sister, said the town is having a festival so that'll be great too.

Other random sidenotes-
1) It was 84 degrees here today and in Russia was 50 degrees. (yikes!)
2) Krnov is in eastern Moravia. I guess when it was Czechoslovakia there were three regions; Bohemia, Moravia, and Slovakia. Now that Czech and Slovakia are separated Czech just includes Bohemia and Moravia.
3) Plus! We are only ~10 min. from the border with Poland! Weird.
4) Kids call their real aunts and ladies they are fond of and have a fond relationship with "teta". Like they would call me "Teta Danielle". Isn't that cute?

No comments: