

Today I was off till 3pm (after school and naps). When Radek comes this weekend he can perfect Jill's bicycle and then I can take my book to a coffee shop or book store or the library (of course, I have to locate such a place-except for the library, I know where that is =) I thought that would be nice/fun to do on a day with so much time off-of course, there's not going to be many more of those such days. =) Instead I did my computer work, did a Firm DVD workout that I brought along (aren't you proud of me, Sarah? =) and read a little.
This afternoon the kids and I went on our famous bike route and after dinner we all walked the recycling over to Koliba. (It isn't all glamorous, this European-lifestyle =) No, it's very practical, but seeing new things keeps it interesting.)
Did I already say this? We are working on the kids playing independently so I'll be free to help with the babies.
I know it would definitely be best to be fluentish with the language-for a more successful experience-eventhough the people learning to speak English enjoy your company =), but
I've come to the conclusion that when thinking about learning Czech I overestimated my ability.
Hee, hee. I have to be in survival mode. Let's face it, I'm not going to be able to carry on a conversation. I was looking through Jill's ~5 in. binder of work she did with a weekly, sometimes bi-weekly, tutor for several months and it is overwhelming. Let me give you an example. For instance, when you learn Spanish you have to change the article? (a, the) to fit whether the noun is "feminine, masculine, or neutral". In Czech you have to change the word for the noun and people's names according to the physical position of the noun. Fictitious example; book...
The bookchesky is under the table.
The booklicksky is on the table.
The booktiskyoo is above the table.
The bookarooskie is near the table.
...blah, blah, blah (as Ollie likes to say)
Then if you have a person (Mr. Novak) in there too it's like...
The booklicksky belonging to Mr. Novakarooshky is on the table.
Shoo!
But everyone says if you just stick with the normal form of the words like "book", people will understand you, it just won't sound correct, like "We will went to the store tomorrow."
(sort of =)
It's sad when I'd like to jump in on a conversation or make polite small talk-like today Bubbi (grandma) and her sister "teta" were over and just yaking up a storm and I wished I could talk with them more. Anna lived in North America for 10 years, but stuck with a Czech-speaking community of people she was introduced to, so really didn't pick much of it up. She studied Russian in school-like Radek. That's to say, even if you're "immersed" if you're not forced to learn it to survive, you don't/won't. I guess because it's hard and we're lazy. I pray for "spiritual interpretation" because I know it's frustrating for them to try to communicate with me. =) Andrea did awesome with her English and she was fun to be around.
Oh, and the "us getting a tutor thing"-we could for the next couple of weeks, but then we're off to Russia and a new language and when we get back it's all-hands-on-deck, so I don't think that's going to happen. It'll be nice, though, to visit with the friends here who are working on their English.
Anyhoo-what else? We may get to go to the Ostrava zoo when Radek comes, so that'll be nice.
I'm looking forward to Friday. Jill and I are "baby shopping" in Ostrava.
Oh, about "stop and smell the roses". Ollie is a male. Meaning, he likes to lead and be in charge and give orders (instead of asking)-we're working on that =) He likes to do-do-do, be active, and moving and not wait around, but get going on to the next exciting thing. Kennedy, on the other hand, likes to take her sweet time and "stop and smell the roses". She steps in every single water puddle on every walk. She stops to squish at least five plums lying in the alley both on the way and back. She pauses to pick the prettiest dandelion. She wants to walk not on the sidewalk, but on the brick wall adjacent to the fence. Also, a funny thing she does is constantly change her mind. I think she might do it because she thinks we want her to pick the first answer, so she changes it to the opposite answer so we will not get our way? =)
"Do you want your shoes on?"
"Yes,...NO"
"Do you want to ride your bike or walk?"
"Walk...no ride".
"Do you want a piece of cake?"
"No..yes!"
etc. etc. etc.
She's also dramatic (Jen, is this sounding like anyone?). If the toe of her sock is not perfectly perpendicular to her liking she looses it!....or if her hair-do is just not to her satisfaction, the world is coming to an end!...or if both of her two pink dresses are in the dirty clothes and unwearable..watch out! No, she's not that bad as that makes her sound. She gets over it quickly, but I think it's interesting to note their gender differences =) I wonder if the twins will be similar.
Anyway, all this will make Ollie a patient man.
He is adjusting well to my demands that he wait on us where I can see him, while we (Kennedy and I) lag behind. He even has an "ok" attitude about it all! =)
Well, time to turn in and prepare for all-day on duty tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment