Ollie got in trouble this morning for leaving the house without permission (actually Jill had specifically said not to go outside because she knew he would come over to my “little house”-that’s what the kids call it =) and he did. So she made a new rule that the kids are not allowed over, ever, unless it’s with her. They are all about me having my privacy and space. On our walk yesterday Jill said something about “give Danielle a break” to the kids, and I said “oh, they’ll get tired of me” and Ollie said “we’ll never get tired of you, Danielle”-ah! I didn’t make it up and ready in time to go with them to school. That’s the part of jet lag that affects me; not the going to bed (I can sleep any time), but the getting up in the morning. This happened when I got back from Australia too. I set my alarm at a decent morning time and press snooze for awhile and then I think “I’m awake” so I turn it off and then I fall back asleep for a couple of hours! So, when Ollie woke me up knocking on my door at 9am, it was actually a good thing because it made me get up and wake up! =)
While the kids were at school Jill and I talked about the next few days meals. We looked through my cookbook for inspiration. We wrote down ingredients for my cheesy mashed potatoes-yum! (It was a hit that evening =) We forgot the list at home-figures-and had to go to two different grocery stores because one was completely wiped out off chicken at ~10 in the morning! Another observation about Europe; b.o. Yep, I noticed it first, immediately when I entered the Ostrava airport and also today at the grocery store. The young ladies shave their armpits, but most of the older ladies do not, and why they don’t wear deodorant?, I couldn’t say. There’s a particular way of doing their hair that you notice too, not all, but a lot of women have choppy, reminiscent of a mullet? hairdos. And they like to color it non-natural hair colors, like shades of red (but unnatural), purple, pink, and orangish-highlights. However, Jill’s closest young mother neighbors are both pretty brunettes. =)
This was interesting; Jill talked to me about Czechs’ discriminatory views of the gypsies (Roma). I read a little bit about this in my book on flight over. You can tell them apart by their dark skin color and they usually look poor and dirty. My National Geographic book says they think the Roma originated from India and migrated west during the Middle Ages. So, part of the problem is they have no homeland (~ala “gypsy”). They don’t know how to make a way here, so unless you can get a menial job, you learn to pickpocket and scam and such. That’s why they are not regarded well here. They have a word for them like we would use the word “nigger” (well, hopefully we wouldn’t). They live together and are pretty much segregated, although Jill thought the government must help them somehow, like a “welfare”-type thing and public housing. Their unemployment rate is estimated to be 70%. Jill said Radek’s dad once employed a gypsy man to help out on their ranch, but he was an alcoholic and couldn’t do his job and wasted his wages on alcohol. Very sad situation. I asked about their education and Jill said they do go to school, but my book says they are often denied public education.
Another Czech way-of-life; beds. Big beds (our full, queen, and king) are comprised of single mattresses side-by-side with one large or two separate comforters on top. I don’t really know the reason, but ok.
It was almost 90 degrees today! We went over to Ivo and Irena’s again so the kids could swim awhile. Irena’s mom “bubbi” to the grandkids was left in charge.
Ollie helped me with a few more words today; “ano” (yes, which could be confusing because sometimes they shorten it to “no” =) and “ne” (“nyeh” means no). He taught me 1, 2, and 3 too, but I’d have to look it up in my notebook =) Sometimes I ask him things/about translations and he makes stuff up and Jill says “Ollie, you’ll confuse her!” =)
Kennedy is sooo funny! She has a funny way of speaking and just says funny things. She also loves to pretend she’s a kitty, but only if she’s a “good kitty” can she sit in my lap for “petting”, because the naughty kitty likes to lick (ew!) and then I make her sit in a “cage” (a time out spot). The kids are excited about the babies coming. They say the baby boy is for Ollie and the baby girl is for Kennedy. I’ve been talking to Kennedy about things the babies will need like her old baby diapers (which she just quit using this summer) and now her “suses” (pacifiers), because they are for babies, and not big girls like her. She says now she will give them to the babies, but we’ll see when the time comes =)
The internet man came today. He spoke good English-is that good English? or should I say “spoke English well”? =) He has to come back tomorrow to finish the installation. I hope it’s successful, because that would be great to do my internet stuff while the kids are taking their afternoon nap instead of waiting till late evening =)
Another adventure awaits tomorrow…..nochs nochs.
No comments:
Post a Comment