Friday, August 28, 2009

Mani and pedi, anyone?



Today was big baby shopping day in Ostrava. We shopped till we dropped and were gone from 8am-4pm. Bubbi picked the kids up from "school" at noon and took them home for naps. Jill ordered her car seats and stroller and picked up newborn necessities. I went to my first Ikea store. Jill felt privileged to be the one to introduce me to it. She found a cute, large rug for Kennedy's room. I had the bright idea of getting the babies "matching" pink and blue outfits to come home from the hospital in. We left the first store where she placed her order and went to...??maybe 5 or 7 more stores, before going back to the original store (where we had previously looked) and she ended up finding about three or four "matching" outfits. She told me she didn't want to do the whole "twin matching" thing-it was my bright idea and bad influence =).

When we got home I was going to redo my toenails while the kids were playing outside. I asked Kennedy if she'd like hers done. This sparked a big nail salon experience. I did K's toes and fingernails and Jill painted the letters of Ollie's name on his fingernails in blue, then the kids offered to give me a manicure and pedicure. Who can refuse that? As you can see, I was all decked out!

Bringing a lot of baby things home is sparking lots of conversation with the kids about the babies coming. I talked to Kennedy about her "susses" (soothers-isn't that a much nicer term that Canadians use, instead of our "pacify" the baby, it's "soothe" the baby =) She's picked one of the three she's hanging on to at nap and bedtime for the boy and one for the girl, but there's still a third one for her to keep. I told Jill how Sarah W. cut off the tip of Sophia's and explained to her that it was broken. Whenever Sophie asked for it, Sarah would give it to her, but since it was "broken" Sophia didn't want it anymore-isn't that clever? Speaking of K becoming a big girl we're experiencing some set-backs on her potty training-she's having spontaneous accidents-but, that might be a typical stage, I hope.

Jill and I had a nice convo in the car on the hour-long trip to Ostrava, talking about how things are going and how I'm feeling about it all. I told her I'm just "along for the ride" and "taking things in stride". She seemed pleased with how things are going and I said I'm so glad to be able to communicate openly about things and check in with each other. We agreed I'll move in the big house after Radek has to go back to Russia following the birth of the babies, until I leave for my Christmas vacation. She doesn't want me to have to get up or be woken up in the middle of the night, but I said "this is like my motherhood experience, and I might as well experience it all"(or all that I can) -maybe it will help to continue to keep the want of that at bay =) I do see how I really do have the best of both worlds and am feeling pretty content about that.

It's continued to be warm here-weather wise. I think 84 today-but when they have no a/c, it can get toasty. I'm appreciative-the warmer the longer, the better to me!, but Jill's ready for cooler weather.

Oh, I've learned; prosim (please), ano or yo (yes/yeah),
1- yeden
2- duvwah
3- thshree
4- need to work on
5- need to work on
and "tuya mouya" (that's mine-I hear kids say that a lot =)

Funny- we ate lunch at the mall today and they only had a Czech menu. Jill told me translations for the words she knew and we ordered what we thought was chicken breast with potatoes on the side, but it came to us as a potato pancake covered chicken breast with cabbage on the side. We thought it wasn't our order, but we were corrected =) ....anyway, it was good. =)

Nochs, nochs

No comments: