Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thursday, September 10

This morning Jill left to pick up the stroller and car seats-very cute!
I had a brilliant idea to take the kids to the park between a.m. snack and lunch for a change of pace. I knew Anna was coming to drop off some lunch for us and thought about leaving a note, but figured we'd meet up at the house before noon. While we were at the park I saw her driving away from the house and when we returned home at noon to eat the back door was locked! The garage was closed and the front door was locked. So, I remembered I had Anna's phone number written down in my little house and we retrieved it, then started knocking on neighbor's doors to ask to use their phone. The Dr's wife across the street was home because her daughter was home from school with a cough. (This is the little girl we heard playing the piano that was staying over at Ivo and Irenka's house.) I showed her Anna's number and she called it and Ollie tried to explain the situation and when the Dr.'s wife understood she got on the phone and asked Anna to come over. For some reason? it took her like 30min. to get there (even though usually she drives very fast =) so we did not eat till 12:40pm (which, of course I can survive but I thought the kids would be starving-yes..Kate and Jen I could have survived.....I just might not have been very nice-ha! =). She thought since no one was home when she dropped off the lunch that we had all gone to Ostrava with Jill. Jill and I decided if something like that happened again I could walk the kids to Koliba, eat, and then have them take their naps in the little house and hang out there until she returned-so that's a good plan "B".

We're starting to pack for Russia!

I had a nice chat with the Dr's wife. I found out she was born in Kazakhstan and they speak Russian there, then she met her Czech husband at a university (I think) in Russia (where she studied French?) and then moved to Czech and taught herself the language in about a year and now she's working on English by herself. She studies 3 hours a day!! (Which is also the amount of time her daughter practices the piano a day.) She's been working on it for 4 or 5 months and knew a lot more than I was first giving her credit for. (I was using Ollie and sign language to try to explain why we were knocking on her door =) These language and traveling people amaze me! They are very self-motivated! She and her husband are moving for jobs to Russia, as well, for the next four years-just a few days after we go. Her two children will be staying here for school with their grandmother. My goodness!

No comments: