*I wanted to state that Czech radio music is 90% in English (either American or British artists) –Even though, probably the majority of people don’t know any English……..strange
For instance, if I’m caught off guard and need to say “sorry (please excuse me)” my brain races for the first bi-lingual synonym it can think of perhaps “excuse em moi ‘’ (even though I don’t really know French) or ‘’pardoname ‘’ (Italian? Spanish?). The trick is to choose the correct synonym for the language of the person you’re with. Since I barely know any Czech words- when I’m trying to search my brain files for a synonym- I usually come up with Spanish (I studied in high school) or some random French, German, Italian (I studied in music in college). I think this is funny! Jill said this happens to her too and she comes up with French (she’s Canadian and studied it in school).
Today I was thrown off when the waiter at the restaurant, whom I already know doesn’t speak English, said “Thanks” and then I fumbled around because I was so prepared to hear the typical Czech response (Dekuji) and I was (programmed) to respond “prosim” (You’re welcome), but he through some English in there and I was all flustered! ha! This was at Koliba where I got (I don’t like that word, I am banning it-I don’t even think it’s a real word, I think it’s slang)….where I was able to take the kids for ice cream and to play at their nice, outdoor playplace this afternoon. We had a special surprise entertainment there. Visiting was some sort of kids rock-climbing club. We spent ~20 min., while the kids licked their dripping cones, watching them scale and descend the wall.
Tomorrow Jill has a Dr.’s appointment in the afternoon to make sure we’re a.o.k. to go to Russia. Our paperwork FINALLY arrived today and now it’s been mailed to Prague and then will be mailed back to us. Jill had a deadline of 3pm today, then she was giving up and calling to say “forget it, just get us the 1 month-only-stay visa”, which is guaranteed to arrive in two days. It came at 1:30pm today. We’ve been waiting on this paperwork for three weeks? The soonest we could leave would be next Thursday, but when she called Radek to tell him the news he said he would be gone with the team on Thursday for four days, so we’ll have to wait ~another week to go. Jill and I were about to think we wouldn’t be going to Russia at all-but I’m glad we will (I like change- that’s an "oxymoron" (because I’m also intimidated by change), but, Jen, you know what I mean =)
No comments:
Post a Comment