Friday, November 20, 2009

Czech Christmas- a little confusing

I was translating a paper on a celebration they're going to have for children during December and the words Santa Claus and Jesus kind of kept coming up as "interchangeable", so I started looking into Czech Christmas. Some of this Jill has also told me.

First, I learned that Czech is one of the most atheistic/non-believing European countries. 50-60% would categorize themselves as such. 30% are Catholic and 3% are Protestant.

There is no traditional (to us) Santa Claus here. On December 5th Mikulas (Saint Nicholas) comes to the homes dressed in bishop's hat and garb accompanied by a devil (who spanks naughty children or gives them a potato) and an angel (who tries to counter the devil's threats and gives candy) along with St. Nicholas' "Book of Sins" to see if the child has been "naughty or nice". This gives them a chance to "wise-up" before the 24th when baby Jesus (Jezisek) comes with presents. ??

I read a bit about communist Czechoslovakia through a book lent to me about a Bible-smuggling missionary from Holland and the propaganda the Soviet's used to try to influence (or brain wash?) the oppressed people's thinking. They instituted "Grandfather Frost" as the Christmas character to use (he looked like our Santa Claus). So now anything that looks like what we think of as Santa Claus is not looked upon favorably here. They don't mind that North Americans have their own "traditional" Santa, though.

Anyway- the event for kids translated to something like; "You're invited on Dec. 10 to the release of Christmas wishes on balloons to Jesus" and it's in coordination with some club? called "Czech children read with Jesus". What?

I kind of wished I could be here during the big hurrah of December so I could see what in the world is going on. We saw the St. Nicholas, devil, and angel characters in the mall this week and I've seen them as chocolate candy bars in the grocery stores.

Interesting.

No comments: