Thursday, February 18, 2010

"The Most Beautiful City on Earth"

....who said that? Hitler? Do we want to believe what he said?
Oh just Doug-....do we want to believe what he says either?

ha ha

no, R. says it too-...but, he's biased.

My Adventures in Prague:

I left Krnov at 4am to catch a 5:30am train called a “pandalino”. It was my first train ride! The inside looked just like the inside of an airplane and the ride basically felt like a three hour taxi down a runway. I arrived in Prague at 8:30am and just followed the crowd down an escalator to the station. (I knew somehow I had to cross underground beneath a busy road, but wasn’t quite sure how. I thought the crowd might be going below to get on a subway, and if so I could just turn around and come back up and try again.) There were lots of nice shops there just like at an airport. I bought an English book for Jill there and asked the girl working how to get to the main street, “Wilsonova”. From her directions I started walking and discovered I was a block off-how? I don’t know-I just tried to go where the most people seemed to be. Then I saw the Wenceslas statue and knew I was in the right place. I also saw a welcome, familiar sight –since I was in a tid bit of a panic- …..McDonalds =) Yes- I ordered fruit and yogurt and water and sat down to let my heart resume normal rhythm.

Next? Off to the hotel. Oh the hotel-lots of “funny” stories. First I found the sign for the hotel, but could not find the entrance to save my life- weird. Finally figured that out-I had to enter through a door marked something else. Next, they were sweet to accommodate me so early in the day, I thought I would just drop off my bag, but I got a room. “You specifically asked for a non-smoking room?” the receptionist said. “Yes”, I answered. About fifteen minutes later I received my keys and found my room-which had a lovely non-smoking sign on the bedside table, but by the smell of the place had clearly been smoked in. =) Then it took forever for me to figure out how to turn the lights on. I almost called down to the front desk to say I had no power, then I found a contraption by the front door to enter your room key into and that turns on the power for the electricity. (Czechs are very “don’t waste electricity” conscious.) Later I thought the power for the t.v. wasn’t working and did call about that. The receptionist said she’d send someone, but no one ever came, but I’m glad because I figured out if I pressed “tv input” or something two times, then it would come on. (Why? you ask did I need a tv when I was sightseeing? Basically wanted noise/music on while getting ready, etc. Don’t worry, I didn’t waste my time.) Then, the first night, after some traumatic events, I relaxed in the “easy to use whirlpool” bath, in my “Italian marble bathroom”. p.s. This was a very old-world style hotel, not modern, but was a five-star. So there I was soaking and relaxing. I almost got my camera to take a picture of the ridiculous amount of bubbles I had going on-well promoted by the whirlpool action. I had been in at least 30 min. and the whirlpool motor was pretty loud and it was late, so I decided I’d not tempt the neighbor’s patience any longer and get out, but when I attempted to turn off the “easy to use whirlpool” it would NOT turn off! That thing was on for at least an hour-I tried pressing various buttons. I tried emptying the tub of water. I tried filling the tub all the way back up with water. Finally I managed-after much calling on Jesus because I did not want to bug the front desk again and be known as a “high-maintenance customer”- to press the right combination of bubbles and the loud motor ceased. Finally, for the hotel stories, I had registered with the birthdate 12 (Dec)- 02- 78. Well, everyone else, you know, writes their dates; day- month- year, so it appeared that my birthday was 02 (Feb)- 12- 78, the day after I checked in. The night of the 12th I came back to my room to discover a silver tray with two glasses, a yellow rose, and a complimentary bottle of wine from the manager of the hotel for my birthday! Ha!

Back to chronological order- so after checking in I went to TGI Fridays to eat (the B’s had told me where this was and I had planned on eating there first so I would know a for sure place to go upon arrival). Then….I found a five story, 200 + store mall. Uh-oh. My shopping is always hit or miss and this time happened to be a hit. I banned myself from shopping the next day.

That afternoon I walked around and took pictures and tried to look inconspicuous. =) I found the Tourist Center where I picked up my tickets for both evenings (I had previously ordered online) and located the Marionette Theatre that I would attend that night. I decided to practice walking the route a second time from my hotel to the theatre so I would be sure of myself at night-but ended up getting lost and walking around in literal circles (because I kept seeing the same landmarks =). I did have a map with me that would have totally helped, but I didn’t want to give off that I was a tourist, so I would be less vunerable, hopefully, so I refused to use it-and eventually made it back, again after a lot of calling on Jesus. Jesus helped me out immensely on this trip-or should I say I was aware and acknowledging a lot that He was helping me out. =) When I got back to the hotel I asked at the front desk (poor lady) if she could get me a taxi for the evening. She knew it was first time there, so she said she’d take care of it for me and she did. However, she didn’t tell me how much she thought it would cost, so I had no idea and had to take my chances. I paid 140 crowns (~$7) on the way there.

The show that night was Don Giovanni, an Italian opera. For what it was (a classical marionette show) it was cute. My next problem came when I tried to turn my phone back on after the performance. I needed a PIN number, which since I’m borrowing the phone from Jill, I didn’t know. I tried every significant combination I could think of, then the PIN became locked up and I needed a “PUK” and a PIN number-great! Phone was completely unusable and I had no way to call my taxi back to get me (he didn’t want to wait for me to ask how long the performance would be, so he just gave me his card and I tried to call the theatre from the hotel to ask, but the number on the brochure wouldn’t work). I asked a girl working at the theatre if there was a phone I could use and told her why. She asked the manager and he said absolutely not and told me to go outside and find a taxi on the street. Fortunately (again! thank you Jesus) when I went outside I immediately saw one and waved it down like mad. I paid 200 crowns (~$10) on the way back-but I didn’t care I was freaked out in the taxi because ?how do you know they’re really going to take you where you asked them to and not run away with you and who knows what? Did I mention these were my first taxi rides ever, too? (The B’s couldn’t believe I’d never been in a taxi! =) I’ve even been to N.Y.C. and not taken a taxi. I have been on a subway, though, and don’t care to repeat the experience. =) (and a Greyhound bus and ditto =) That was the night I took the bubble bath to relax and then that turned out to be drama too! oh.

The next morning I had breakfast at the hotel and practiced my walk to the opera house for that evening, which was much closer and easier. Yea, no taxi would be needed. =) And the street I was to walk on was very populated and well lit. I went in the new building of the National Museum but didn’t find anything really so went to the old building and decided I should at least tour one of the city’s museums so I bought a ticket and spent the next two hours walking around three floors. They didn’t just have one room covered with “minerals, precious stones”, etc. They had six. They didn’t just have one room with stuffed, dead animals. They had 12. It went on and on and on.

I nixed the “House of Faust” idea because it was just a play on Goethe’s Faust story/opera and was like a medicinal/apothecary type place-besides my feet were KILLING me, not to mention my legs and my growing blister on my little toe, and I still had to trek across the river to Prague Castle, so I nixed the Faust photo-opp.

I took pictures at the Old Town Square and of lots of buildings because they are all sooo cool! I stumbled across the B’s favorite shopping street “Parisian”. You can imagine; Prada, Gucci, Cartier, Hugo Boss, Burberry, you name it, they had it. Again I was trying not to look at my maps and only had some sort of idea on what general direction to go, but I finally found Charles Bridge and used it to cross over the Vlata River, hiked up a HUGE hill to Prague Castle (which is like their White House-I didn’t know that-their country’s President can live there and does his official business there.) I wondered why there were guards when they were letting people go in-but I still think that’s more for show. I didn’t know exactly what to do there at the castle, so I just walked around and if there was a group of people congregating I went by to see what they were looking at. I followed two girls with their mother back down towards the river-to look like I was with them and not on my own =). I walked in the general direction back towards the Charles bridge and when I found it I knew how to head back towards the town square and to my hotel.

That afternoon I went to Starbucks to read for two hours. Now, that doesn’t sound like a Prague-touristy thing to do, but remember, this was also a little vacation for me and that’s a very Nashville thing that I would do and I REALLY enjoyed it.

The evening was the best part; the State Opera where I saw Dvorak’s “Rusalka”. It’s kind of based off of Hans Christian Anderson’s “Little Mermaid”. It was AWESOME! First off I had AWESOME seats; center, seventh row! The theatre was amazing! The orchestra was, of course, wonderful. and the opera began with beautiful scenery and white flowy-dressed water nymph ballerinas floating across the stage. The lead soprano had the most gorgeous costumes, I soooo wanted to go back to school and get my Masters in Vocal Performance and audition for something like this-mainly because I wanted to wear her outfits! =) The singing was great! Not like some operas where they…..I don’t know..try to hard? something? and it comes off sounding actually displeasing to the ear…This was “bel canto”! Beautiful voice; clear and precise and just lovely! The main sets were woods/waterfall and the inside of a castle at a ball/wedding, so they were really ornate and lovely. Well, I could just go on and on about this, but definitely it was the highlight of my trip and what a way to top off my weekend in Prague! Unforgetable. (Mom, I wished you were there-you would have LOVED it too! =)

The next morning I left the hotel/checked out at 8:30am and made/found my way to the 9:30am train. A couple of R’s buddies were also on the train ride with me. They were coming to Krnov to celebrate the twins’ birth- you know the whole beer and cigar routine. So, that was nice being with others I “knew”.

So, that was my wonderful weekend. I got to do everything I wanted to. A few times I was tempted just to stay in my safe, comfortable hotel room, but I didn’t! I made myself get out there and I enjoyed it.

Ciao for now- see you in 7 weeks!....now 6 and 1/2 weeks!

No comments: